Extremely Rare Late WWII Access Badge for the Luftfahrt Forschungsanstalt Munchen LFM
Processing...

Extremely Rare Late WWII Access Badge for the Luftfahrt Forschungsanstalt Munchen LFM

Code: gmng20001lfm

$1,175.00

Product Description

•••••

ARTIFACT: This is an extremely rare numbered access badge for the "LFM", the Luftfahrt Forschungsanstalt Munchen (Munich). The badge is a white metal disc with a deco-stylized mythological griffin at center with the letters LFM at 10:00, 2:00, and 6:00. The background is painted white and the badge is control-numbered 40 on reverse.


Some info about LFM-Munich from the web:

Luftfahrt-Forschungsanstalt München

In 1940, the aircraft manufacturer Messerschmitt (Augsburg) began on behalf of the Reich Ministry of Aviation with the construction of a military-motivated large-scale research facility, the Luftfahrtforschungsanstalt München e. V. (LFM). The previously uninhabited terrain extended from the southwest of today's Ottobrunn municipal area (between Haidgraben, Ranhazweg and throttle road) to the north of the municipality Brunnthal . It was strategically located near the air base Neubiberg and the motorway Munich - state border (Salzburg). In addition, there was the danger of bombing because of the forest situation less than in Munich. The LFM was to test and operate new experimental research equipment. In the north of the site, on today's Ottobrunner corridor, was the aerodynamic institute. It had large wind tunnels with very exact measuring equipment at the time. The project and basic research would have been given a new quality. Although the LFM devoured a large part of the research funds of the Reich Ministry of Aviation, the project was characterized by material and personnel bottlenecks, scheduling delays and provisional arrangements due to the war. 

In order to remedy the shortage of personnel during the construction of the LFM, an external camp of the Dachau concentration camp was established at the beginning of 1944 and opened in May 1944. It was on today's Zeisigstraße between Dunant and Zaunkönigstraße. 350 to 600, sometimes even up to 900 prisoners had to perform forced labor under inhumane conditions. Nevertheless, the research project remained unfinished until the end of the war. The concentration camp satellite camp was probably cleared on May 1, 1945.

Luftfahrt-Forschungsanstalt München

The foundation of a second aviation research center in Bavaria is also in the pre-war phase. In the spring of 1938, planning for the "Luftfahrt-Forschungsanstalt München" (LFM) in Ottobrunn (district of Munich) in the south of Munich began in the Reich Aviation Ministry . A five-year program envisaged the construction of a huge research facility with experimental facilities of unprecedented size. Although the "Luftfahrt-Forschungsanstalt München" was provided with the highest level of urgency and inmates of the Ottobrunn branch of the Dachau concentration camp were also used in the construction, their institutes and facilities did not exceed the body shell by the end of the war.

A wind tunnel with a diameter of 8 m and a drive power of 75,000 KW was built at a field office in the Ötztal in order to be able to test high-performance power units for the air force companies BMW , Heinkel, Messerschmitt and Dornier in natural size up to the full airspeed. At the mouth of the Ötz in the Inn west of Innsbruck facility was dismantled at the end of the war by the Allies and rebuilt in Modane in the French Alps.

Ebenfalls noch in die Vorkriegsphase fällt die Gründung eines zweiten Luftfahrtforschungszentrums in Bayern. Im Frühjahr 1938 begannen im Reichsluftfahrtministerium die Planungen für die "Luftfahrt-Forschungsanstalt München" (LFM) in Ottobrunn (Lkr. München) im Süden von München. Ein Fünfjahresprogramm sah den Bau eines riesigen Forschungsareals mit Versuchsanlagen in bis dahin nicht gekannten Größenordnungen vor. Obwohl die "Luftfahrt-Forschungsanstalt München" mit höchster Dringlichkeitsstufe versehen wurde und beim Bau auch Häftlinge der Außenstelle Ottobrunn des Konzentrationslagers Dachau eingesetzt wurden, kamen ihre Institute und Anlagen bis Kriegsende überwiegend nicht über den Rohbau hinaus.

Auf einer Außenstelle im Ötztal wurde ein Windkanal mit einem Durchmesser von 8 m und einer Antriebsleistung von 75.000 KW gebaut, um Hochleistungstriebwerke für die Luftrüstungsunternehmen BMW, Heinkel, Messerschmitt und Dornier in natürlicher Größe bis zur vollen Fluggeschwindigkeit testen zu können. Die an der Mündung der Ötz in den Inn westlich von Innsbruck gelegene Anlage wurde bei Kriegsende von den Alliierten demontiert und in Modane in den französischen Alpen wieder errichtet.

VINTAGE: Circa World War II.

SIZE: Approximately 1-5/16" in diameter.

MATERIALS / CONSTRUCTION: White metal, painted details, brass pin.

ATTACHMENT: Horizontal safety-style pin, saddle.

MARKINGS: 40

ITEM NOTES: This is from an accumulation of unidentified items which we will be listing more of over the next few months. Item will not be sold until it is identified. VEJX14 LJJJX8/14 ID'D & SLAAGEX05/19

CONDITION: 7 (Very Fine): The badge shows some light wear/minor discoloration.

GUARANTEE: As with all my artifacts, this piece is guaranteed to be original, as described.